Skip to main content Skip to footer

By-laws and Enforcement

By-law Enforcement investigates concerns such as noise complaints (e.g. barking dogs, loud music), property standards issues, littering/dumping, parking, fences, portable signs and other matters concerning the Municipality of North Perth.

Submit a Complaint

To register a complaint, please use the Request Portal or contact 519-291-0264.

Not all by-laws are enforced by By-law Enforcement Officers. Please call 519-291-2950 with questions.

A By-law Officer will require a written complaint with contact information for follow-up or, depending on the nature of the offence, to provide evidence and/or to appear as a witness in any court proceeding pertaining to the complaint made.

To report a possible by-law violation, complete the online form through the Request Portal, contact 519-291-0264, or by attending the office anytime between Monday to Friday during regular business hours. 

What to expect when making a by-law complaint:

  • To provide name, address, phone number and/or email address
  • To provide details about the concern (where, when, what, how, who)
  • The complaint will be investigated
  • Please be patient, enforcement is a process and can take time

Any information provided remains confidential unless disclosure is required by law. The Clerk has the responsibility of determining whether to release any by-law information in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. Unless the matter goes to court, names, addresses and telephone numbers will be kept confidential. Should the matter proceed to court, it may be necessary to attend as a witness to the violation.

Anonymous complaints will not be investigated unless there is an immediate health and safety risk.

A courtesy warning is often issued on a first offence (not applicable to all regulatory by-laws such as those relating to parking infractions). Subsequent or continued violations may result in fines or court proceedings. 

If immediate assistance is required outside of our regular hours, please contact the OPP at 1-888-310-1122.

Below are the most frequently requested Municipal by-laws.  Additional by-laws or alternate formats are available by contacting us at 519-292-2062 or Toll Free at 1-888-714-1993 or email the clerk department

Municipal Administration

  • Regulates how the Municipality procures goods and service
  • Ensures consistency and fairness amongst bidders during the procurement process

More information on our Procurement Policy By-Law page can be found here:

  • Outlines all common fees and charges for Municipal services

  • The Council & Committee Procedural By-law requires that the Procedural By-law shall provide for public notice of meetings

You can find more on our Mayor, Council and Committees page

  • Regulates that the municipality shall provide notice to the public of the form, manner and times
  • To promote accountability and transparency between council and the public

Building and Property Standards

  • Protects County trees against damage from private activities such as pruning or gardening
  • Visit Perth County By-Law page for additional information 

  • Regulates construction, demolition and change of use permits and inspection and related maters. 

  • Regulates the development of any subject land in the Municipality of North Perth and the cost related to development
  • The North Perth Development Charges Pamphlet provides a summary of the Municipality's policy with respect to Development Charges.

  • Regulates the development of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential (over 2 units) properties 

  • Defines standards for maintaining a property in the Municipality of North Perth
  • Property owners must maintain the property and dwellings in a state of good repair

  • Includes stair railings, plumbing, electrical, fences, foundations, walls, windows and roofs etc

More information can be found here: Property Standards

  • Sets out grass cutting, garbage, weed control and material disposal standards

  • Includes dead, decayed or damaged trees and branches be removed

  • Regulates the basic standards for maintenance and aesthetics of exterior of a property in the Municipality of North Perth

More information can be found here: Property Standards

  • Regulates minimum requirements for a safety enclosure around a swimming pool
  • Sets minimums for height, distance from water’s edge and locking gate requirements

  • Regulates where and what type of signs can be placed in public areas
  • Sets out the process and requirements for a sign permit

  • Outlines process for compliance and enforcement

More information can be found here: Seasonal Maintenance.

  •  Outlines how the Municipal Act relates to the bylaw

Transient Traders

  • Businesses operating in Municipality of North Perth require a licence
  • All must comply with applicable fire and zoning regulations, and provide proof of insurance. 

More information can be found here: Application, Licences and Permits

  • The Municipality works with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) to regulate lottery licences
  • The Municipality issues licences and enforces the Gaming Control Act

  • Ensures licensees meet requirements under the Criminal Code of Canada and compliance with the terms and conditions of their licences

More information can be found here: Application, Licences and Permits

Parking and Traffic

In order to understand if off-road vehicles are allowed on roadways in The Municipality of North Perth, please refer to the By-law to Regulate the Use of Off-road Vehicles (ORVs) on Municipal Roads.

Key points to consider when operating off-road vehicles where they are permitted:

  • Vehicle must meet the specifications of an off-road vehicle as defined in the Highway Traffic Act
  • Vehicle shall be operated along the shoulder of road if available, or along edge of roadway
  • No person shall operate an off-road vehicle at a rate of speed greater than that identified under the Highway Traffic Act and Ontario Regulation 316/03 or any superseding legislation.

Please note Off-Road Vehicles are not permitted on:

  • any Community Centre grounds
  • any park, sports field, playground or walking trail
  • any cemetery
  • hospital grounds
  • near any churches or nursing homes

More information can be found at: Ministry of Transportation Website 


Off-Road Vehicles Act

Smart Ride Safe Ride Brochure

Smart Ride Safe Ride Video

  • Regulates where to park, stop and drive on roads in the Municipality of North Perth
  • Overnight parking on municipal streets and lots

  • Vehicles blocking a sidewalk or overhanging curbs

By-law officers are enforcing parking restrictions. North Perth residents/visitors found in violation will be ticketed.  Parking infractions include:

  • Parking outside of marked spaces
  • Parking in a designated fire route
  • Parking in an area indicated  by no parking
  • Parking in an area designated as physically challenged parking
  • Parking in an area where no stopping or standing is permitted
  • Parking on a sidewalk
  • Parking within 4 metres of a fire hydrant
  • Park facing wrong way
  • Parking vehicle on street between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. from December 1-March 31.

Parking tickets

Parking tickets issued by the Municipality of North Perth can be paid at the North Perth Municipal Office during business hours. Cash, cheque or debit payments are accepted.

No overnight parking

Overnight parking is not permitted on any Municipality of North Perth street or municipal parking lot between 2:00 AM to 6:00 AM from December 1st to March 31st. Applicable fines will apply.

Vehicles impeding snow removal will be towed away at the owner's expense.

  • Regulates parking in private spaces such as businesses or commercial properties


  • Regulates or prohibits animals in the Municipality of North Perth
  • Provides a system of licences, permits, approvals or registrations and imposes conditions and requirements
  • Regulates leashing and muzzling of dogs

More information can be found on our Animal Services page. 

  •  Restricts the owing, importing or exporting of prohibited animals laid out in the by-law

More information can be found on our Animal Services page. 

  • Regulates the sales and use of fireworks in the Municipality of North Perth

More information is available here: Fire By-Laws.

  • Prohibits the throwing, placing, or depositing of refuse or debris on private property or on property of the municipality.

  • Provides the general limitations of sound levels and sources
  • Outlines general prohibitions and exemptions

  • Regulates the setting of open air fires
  • Establishes times when open air fires may be set and any exemptions

More information can be found here: Fire By-Laws.

Special Events

  • The Municipality regulates the holding of special events in North Perth. To apply for a permit, please complete an application.

More information is available on our Application, Licences and Permits page. 


Visit the Applications, Licences and Permits to review our Zoning By-law for information on criteria for home and farm occupations.

Contact Us

Municipality of North Perth
330 Wallace Avenue North
Listowel, ON N4W 1L3

Tel: 519-291-2950
Toll Free: 1-888-714-1993

By-Law Enforcement Officer
Email the By-law Enforcement Officer
Municipality of North Perth,
330 Wallace Ave. N., Listowel, ON N4W 1L3
T: 519-291-0264
Toll Free: 888-714-1993
Map this Location.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Municipality's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.