Skip to main content Skip to footer

Planning, Development and Zoning

Our Building and Planning Department is here to give you professional advice and recommendations on all types of planning applications and questions. They will confirm which application(s) you need and guide you through the application process. Please see below for a list of commonly requested planning, development and zoning documents and resources.

The Provincial Policy Statement (PPS,2020) is the statement of the Government's policies on land use planning. It applies province-wide and provides clear policy direction on land use planning to promote strong communities, a strong economy, and a clean and healthy environment.

It includes policies on key issues that affect our communities, such as:

  • the efficient use and management of land and infrastructure;
  • protection of the environment and resources; and
  • ensuring appropriate opportunities for employment and residential development, including support for a mix of uses.

Municipalities use the PPS to develop their official plans and to guide and inform decisions on other planning matters.

The Planning Act establishes the rules for land use planning within Ontario and describes how land may be controlled. This Act was passed to:

  • promote sustainable economic development in a healthy natural environment within the provincial policy framework;
  • establish a land use planning system led by provincial policy; and
  • allow for the planning process to be fair by making it open, accessible and efficient.

Please review the Citizens' Guide 1 - The Planning Act by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing for more information.

Depending on the type of development proposed, an application may need to be submitted to the North Perth Building and Development Department (i.e. Listowel Ward Official Plan Amendment, Zoning By-law Amendment, Minor Variance, Lifting Part-Lot Control, Site Plan Agreement) or the County Planning Department (i.e. County Official Plan Amendment, Plan of Subdivision or Condominium, Consent to Sever/Severance).

Our planning staff are available to answer questions. We encourage applicants to contact the Municipal Planner before submitting an application. 



The fee for planning applications is based on the type of application. Other costs, such as supporting studies, public agency review, surveying, legal agreements, peer review and other supporting material fees, are not listed within the Fee schedule but may be required.

Development charges are fees that help pay for growth-related capital costs of infrastructure and services for new development, including roads, water and sewer infrastructure, community centres, emergency services and facilities.

You can view the Municipality's current Development Charges By-law on the By-law and Enforcement page. You can also read the North Perth Development Charges Pamphlet, which summarizes the Municipality's policy with respect to Development Charges. Please contact the Building Department for information or questions on applicable development charges.

To help you with your planning, development and zoning questions/needs, we have included a table below that highlights who to contact for certain applications/topics:

Type of application Who to contact
Listowel Ward Official Plan Amendment North Perth
Zoning by-law Amendment North Perth
Minor Variance North Perth
Site Plan Agreement North Perth
Lifting Part Lot Control North Perth
County of Perth Official Plan Amendment County of Perth
Plan of Subdivision or Condominium County of Perth
Consent/severance County of Perth

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Municipality's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.