Skip to main content Skip to footer

Property Taxes

Property taxes provide the main source of revenue to deliver services supplied by North Perth, the County of Perth, and School Boards.

Each property is assigned a tax class depending on the use or purpose of the property. Annual tax rates are set according to annual budgets for the Municipality, County, and Province (Education). These tax rates are then applied to each tax class. We calculate the tax levy by using the applicable tax rate and the assessed value assigned to each property.

We generate two tax bills and there are four installment due dates:

  • Interim Tax Bill is mailed in mid February
  • Final Tax Bill is mailed in mid August

Dues Dates are the third Wednesday of:

  • March
  • June
  • September
  • November

As a property owner you are responsible for knowing when taxes are due. If you have not received your bill by the end of February or end of August, please contact our office.

We offer a number of payment options. Please visit our payment options page for more information.

Go paperless – sign up to receive a digital version of your tax bill directly to your email address. Once you sign up, you will no longer receive a paper copy in the mail. All future bills will be sent directly to your email.

To sign up for eBilling, fill out the online form.

Please remember:

  • You are responsible to re-submit the online form if there is a change in email address.
  • Failure to receive an invoice does not excuse you from payment and any applicable interest.

If you do not receive your bill, please check your junk mail folder and add us to your safe list

Visit our Tax Rates page to view our current tax rates by tax class.

A penalty of 1.25% is added to property taxes the first day of default (day after the due date). Interest of 1.25% per month or 15% per annum is charged on all arrears of taxes on the first of each month. There is no authority to waive penalty and interest charges.

Failure to receive your tax bill does not excuse you from paying the amount due by the instalment date.

A tax certificate is a legal document that displays the annual taxes. The tax certificate also contains any outstanding water and wastewater receivables linked to the tax roll. Tax certificates are available by written request. 

Send requests to the reception desk here

A 'rush' certificate is a 48 hours turn around. Standard requests are one business week. 

In order to change the property owners, we must receive legal documentation showing you as the owner of the property. In most cases, this comes from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) or a registered deed from your lawyer. There is a fee applied to process an ownership change. This fee will be added to the property tax roll and will be included in a letter mailed subsequent to processing the ownership change.

If your mailing address has changed, please complete the online form.

Garbage wheelie bins are added to the interim tax bill cost depending on the size of bin you received. This amount shows up on the Final Tax bill as part of the total tax calculation for the year. However, it is only charged to our account on the interim billing.

If you receive a garbage wheelie bin after Jan. 1st in the current year, you will be charged a prorated amount on the final tax bill in August. If you receive a garbage wheelie bin after July 1st, you will not be billed until the following year on the Interim billing in February.

If you have recently built a new home or made any additions or improvements to your property, remember to make allowance for a Supplementary tax bill in your budget plans.

For the first 12 to 18 months after occupying a newly constructed home, property tax bills may cover the land only, not the building, until MPAC is able to complete an assessment of the home. The land taxes often represent approximately one third of the total tax bill, depending on the type of house. There may be a considerable delay from your occupancy date until you receive a tax bill that includes the house.

Once the property is assessed, the new homeowner will receive a “Property Assessment Notice” from Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). A supplementary tax bill will follow from the Municipality with taxes covering the building from the date of occupancy. Residents are strongly encouraged to budget for this billing. If your mortgage payment includes taxes, the supplementary tax bill will be sent to the financial institution dealing with payments. You may want to contact your mortgage company to ensure you are paying enough towards taxes to cover this supplementary bill.

We offer property owners who have bought infill lots to construct a new home in the municipality the option of making pre-authorized payments towards the property prior to MPAC completing an assessment. These payments are credited to the supplementary tax bill following MPAC issuing a “Property Assessment Notice”. In order for us to do this, there has to be a roll number already established to apply the credit. Contact the Finance Department if you are interested.

Sign up to our Newsletter

Stay up to date on the Municipality's activities, events, programs and operations by subscribing to our eNewsletters.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.